Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Toddler Tuesdays: Winter

 Winter has finally arrived! For the next two weeks we will be working with a winter theme. This week's sensory bin is filled with shaving cream, winter animals, a sled, shovel, and snowflake.
 There are a few books we will be reading, but this book by Gerda Miller will be our main focus. It is a word free picture book and it's my hope that by talking about the pictures together we can draw more words out of Panda.
 Relying heavily on Pinterest this week I found many variations of this activity. A simple counting activity with snow balls. We also used Cheerios and that was more motivating for him. 
 I found this fine motor skill activity "here" with free printable cards. 
 There were several variations of this activity on Pinterest. I made a dice with snowman parts found "here" and snowman parts to assemble out of felt and buttons. Panda likes to assemble the snowman, but could care less about the dice. Maybe when  he is older we can try again or make a game to see who can assemble a snowman first.
This activity is a precursor to handwriting. I found the idea "here" and pared it with Panda's love of drawing on the windows. These window crayons are amazing! Unlike window markers there is no smell and clean up is super easy,
Painting snow with food coloring is an activity that I've been wanting to do with Panda for a while; and now that the snow is here, we can. We are also trying a new therapy story board, but I'll post about that next week and let you know how this week went. Till then, shine on!

9 comments:

  1. Painting snow is a big activity here, even now that my little man is a little older. We fill spray bottles with water and food colouring and head outside...so much fun!!!!

    Have fun with your winter theme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the spray bottles, one day we will have to try that too. He is loving using the paint brush. Happy new year my friend. Shine.

      Delete
  2. I love the snow! And the shaving foam. Can't wait for his next theme either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those printable cards... Might be too much for Little Man ight now, but I know my daughter would love them. What a fun week you guys have planned. You'll have to let me know how Panda liked all these. In so many ways, our little guys are the same, but I still can't get mine to sit down for anything... but painting! We paint rocks with water all summer long, I need to try the snow painting. Thanks for the great tips again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there... When I click on the link for the printable cards, it sends me somewhere else. I was wondering if you could give the link here. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sorry about that, I fixed the link. You can find the cards here.. http://www.playdoughtoplato.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Snowflake-Busy-Bag.pdf
      So far Panda has been enjoying them. We stick to the more simple patterns. The q-tips roll around the more they cross over each other, and that can be frustrating for the little guy.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much!
      I know my daughter will love the more intricate ones. She already asked me if I can have the activity ready when she comes home from school. :-)
      I'll be trying the snow painting with little man today. I'll report back! Have a wonderful day.

      Delete