Thursday, August 21, 2014

DIY Herb Infused Sun Dried Tomatoes

For the past few weeks we have been making batch after batch of "Sun Dried" tomatoes. Technically they are dehydrated using a dehydrator and not the sun, but it's the same end result. This is how we make ours and infuse them with herbs along the way. 
We are using Roma tomatoes, they have a thicker meat to them and less juice. Take about 14 tomatoes and cut them into thin strips like this...
Make a mixture of 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon basil, 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic, and 1/2 a teaspoon on oregano. Gently toss your tomato slices in the mixture and spread out on your dehydrator shelves. 
Our dehydrator is an old Bee Beyer's from the 80's. It does not have built in temperature adjustments. But using a kitchen thermometer I know the bottom shelf registers at 150 and the top registers around 120 degrees. I let them sit in the dehydrator over night and then I rearrange the shelves so the bottom in now the top. It takes about two days for them to completely dry to nice little crispy morsels. You can take them out sooner if you like them more pliable but I think they store better the lower the water content. Dehydrators will vary. You can also make them in the oven by spreading them thinly on trays and setting your oven to its lowest setting. So there you have it. These little crispy summer nuggets will last us through the winter with bursts of sun ripened vitamin C. Great to add into soups, salads, breads and so much more. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh those look so good. Funny, I have a dehydrator and never thought to dehydrate my tomatoes. Might have to do a batch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I had a dehydrator. I would love to make these (and other things).

    Thanks for sharing. I'll keep this in mind if I even do get a dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete