Monday, July 12, 2010

Cork Dolls

Soon Bear and I will be going to a family reunion at the beach. Last year Beth from http://acornpies.blogspot.com/ did a fabulous blog on how to make acorn people for the beach. If you have not visited her Blog before you may just want to pop in. She is a wonderful artist with a heart of gold especially when it comes to the little ones. I'm so happy to call her a friend. I fell in love with the acorn people she made and wanted to take them to the beach for the kids to play with this year. Acorns, however, are out of season right now. Here is my variation on how to make cork people. They are incredibly fast and easy to make. Because of their size they can still present a choking hazard, so I would not recommend giving them to anyone under the age of 4.

1. The supplies needed for this craft include, little straw hats, wooden beads for heads (Michael's sells pre-painted faces on wood beads in the doll making section). Screws that are long enough to go through the head and most of the body, but not long enough to go all the way through the body and leave a sharp point, high temp hot glue or waterproof wood glue, and a cork. I was able to get everything here at Michael's Craft Store except the screws (well and the corks, but you can buy corks at Michael's).

2. Screw the head and cork together. Right before the screw is all the way in put a dab of hot glue under the head to make it a little harder for little fingers to unscrew. Though it will be pretty tight without the glue.

3. Glue the straw hat on.

4. You are done! Wasn't that cheep, fast, and fun? They float face up. Bear and I put one in a bowl of water and had a blast poking it and watching it bob along. I can't wait to hand these out to the littles at the beach and see what wonderful games they have with these dolls. From sandcastles to shell tea parties whatever you are doing this week Have fun!

9 comments:

  1. How cool, must pass this on to my sister, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mercy! I LOVE them!!!!! The children are going to have so much fun! Thank you for your wonderful words and thanks for adding your own touch. The hats are priceless. love, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just as cute as they can be! What a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing the directions. My grandchildren will love this. I also want to thank you for leaving such a kind note on my blog. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I hope your sister likes them too. Beth, I'm so glad you liked them. You are welcome for the words. You and Marie are my biggest inspirations, thank you for that. Laurie, what can I say, your blog is just such a joy to read. I only wrote what I felt. All of you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, and have fun at the beach. The cork people are cute as can be. I think older children would enjoy making some cork people of their own, too. Great idea, my friend! Love and blessings to you and thank you for coming by for a visit~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a cool idea! and these just look fab!

    love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very cute. You have such good ideas. Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I love it. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I am now following yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute. What a fun project to do!

    ReplyDelete