Thursday, October 8, 2009

Needle Felted Pumpkin

Something that I have been wanting to try for a few years is needle felting. After being challenged to work on a different craft everyday this week I finally got the courage to try this art form. This is my first attempt at needle felting. I started by making an orange wool ball, felting and rolling till it was more or less the shape that I wanted. Then I mixed a little brown and green wool and rolled it between my hands (like how you would make a play-dough snake). I folded it in half and rolled it again. I felted the end with a loop to the top of the pumpkin, and finished it off by making creases down the sides. I had to go over them repeatedly to make them deep enough. Still unsatisfied I felted the creases in with tightly rolled pieces of brown wool. The curlicue on the stem was made by tightly twisting the stem and letting go. I made several pumpkins and tucked them into my grapevine wreath (the pumpkin in the picture was the first one I made). My next attempt will be to try making animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment